With all the paperwork we've filled out to complete our visa applications I've done a lot of thinking about citizenship. Citizenship is something I believe most Americans take for granted, especially those of us who are citizens by right of birth. When we think of our rights as citizens we tend to think of those things we have coming to us; things we feel entitled to, usually because we feel we're being deprived of something. We sometimes think about our responsibilities as citizens during elections or when called to jury duty, yet sadly too many of us seek ways to avoid these responsibilities.
I rarely think about the fact that any government can tell me where I can or cannot live. I certainly never considered that a foreign government wouldn't want me to live in their country! I've never had a government official question my integrity about paperwork that was not adequately completed. I've never had to prove where I was living. I find myself acutely aware of the fact that I don't have the same rights and privileges in Poland as I have in the U.S. Suddenly I find myself thankful for the privilege of being able to live freely, in a location of my choice without needing permission from the government to stay for 30 days while my visa application for residency is processed.
The Bible tells us that our citizenship is in heaven. Maybe I need to think less like an American and more like a Christian and what it means to have citizenship in heaven. Today a Polish man asked where I was from. I must admit I felt a sense of pride in saying the United States. Should I have answered, "Heaven?" What would have been his response? Would he have been as interested to know a citizen of heaven as he was to know an American was living in his city?
This Christmas I'm thinking of Jesus who gave up His residency in heaven and left behind His rights as a citizen to become flesh and dwell among us. Thank you, Lord. May we be a worthy reflection of You.
Please pray that we, as ambassadors for Christ, will represent Him so that the Polish people will be reconciled to God. II Corinthians 5:20
Hi, Do you have your Visa yet???? I like that article on Citizenship and also the idea of Jesus leaving his home and coming on earth. Great thought.
ReplyDelete