Chuck said the most unusual thing this afternoon as we were unpacking boxes. "One of the things I really liked about Christmas this year was that you weren't worried about ironing the table cloth." That made me think about all the Christmases past when I worked to make everything perfect. This year was very different. Until two days before Christmas we had 4 plates and 4 bowls, an assortment of pots and pans, and a handful of Christmas decorations. Our furniture was either rented or recently purchased. We were about to spend our first Christmas away from any family in years.
On the other hand we were having three Journeymen for Christmas all of whom would be spending their first Christmas away from their families. On Christmas morning we celebrated advent which has become a tradition in our family and opened gifts. Best of all we celebrated the birth of our Savior with dear friends, feasted together, laughed till we cried, and just hung out. We did it all among stacks of boxes and piles of belongings that had yet to find a home.
When we returned home after taking our friends to the airport, I walked in the door and thought, "What a mess!" To Chuck's point I hadn't spent the last several days worried about keeping the house picked up or ironing table cloths. What I did was have a great time. It was one of the most enjoyable, relaxing Christmases I've ever had.
I think what made this Christmas so wonderful was that it was so different. The difference forced me to rethink what was important to me and what makes Christmas special. Without a doubt Christmas is about celebrating the birth of a Savior. That can be celebrated anywhere and it's celebrating that birth with others that creates family. Families create memories together, and that's what has made this Christmas special.
As we move into a new year please pray that many Poles will come to know Jesus and next Christmas will celebrate the birth of their Savior.
And what a truly great Christmas it was!! :) You guys are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHey Vicki, Love the pictures on the blog. SO glad you had such a special Christmas . The Lord is so good to meet all our needs. We enjoyed having Christmas with our 20 month old grandson. Can you believe I am a "Marnie" I love it, he is practically perfect in every way! I pray for each of you and your work there every Thursday. I know the Lord has exciting things in store for this new year. Love you . Your sister in Christ,
ReplyDeleteStacy Darty